Freelance audio producer/reporter, various, 2016 – present
- Report, produce and mix public radio features for the BBC’s Outlook, KCRW and KPCC shows such as the Frame, Take Two and Off-Ramp.
- Reported in-depth stories of commerce meeting culture — from taxidermy to the motorcycle industry — for APM’s Marketplace.
- Produced quick, conversational posts for Refinery29 and LAist, the latter a mix of original reporting and aggregation.
- Ground up podcast producing for different clients, including booking interviews, hiring freelancers, identifying story, writing scripts and producing final mixes.
- Strategized podcast concept with former Newsweek editor Bill Barol, creating a survey to source guests, pre-interviewing and providing editorial feedback.
- Story editing Twitter’s first ever podcast, which includes collaborating with producers, structuring the episodes, mixing and scoring. It’s out in early 2019.
Multimedia storyteller, University of Southern California, May 2016 – present
- First to hold newly created job as in-house journalist for the university, I’m known for finding offbeat, clickable stories, tackling everything from millennial home buying to the health risks of Netflix bingeing.
- Launched USC News’ audio storytelling vertical, doing sound portraits and 3 to 7-minute audio documentaries, including one on how some folks get the chills from music.
- Became certified in SEO copywriting through WordPress-centered Yoast Academy.
Reporter, Orange County Register, November 2012 – May 2016
- Covered local government, business and regional issues across the county, breaking stories on the state’s shutdown of a police academy, the bankruptcy of OC-based teen retail giants, and how a teen heroin problem was changing area high schools.
- With the investigation of Fullerton College’s police academy, my curiosity about the class left in the lurch by the shutdown led me to request public records for years prior — discovering that former classes were told they had POST certification (required to be a cop in CA) when they didn’t, which led to officers across the county being stripped of their weapons and put on desk jobs.
- One of only a handful of reporters to represent the paper at the 2015 IRE Conference in Philadelphia.
Reporter, Los Angeles Register, February 2014- September 2014
- Handpicked to lead L.A. coverage with one other reporter before a team or bureau was assembled.
- Byline was in the paper almost daily, including 15 A-1 stories during the paper’s five-month run – on what’s killing L.A.’s mountain lions to the troubling history of Malibu’s elite blocking public access to beaches and a Q&A with the Pope’s social media guru.
Assistant web editor and community reporter, Los Angeles Times, July 2010- November 2012
- Finalist for an investigative journalism award for a data-driven project on sex offender laws, which included knocking on the doors convicted of sex offenders found through state databases.
- Started doing social media as a stringer, after noticing it was automated. Once full-time, I was given the additional title, which included newsroom training on social media and an understanding of SEO and analytics.
- Received 2011 Los Angeles Times Editorial Award for news writing.
Digital intern, NBC Universal/Access Hollywood, June 2009 – August 2009
- Responsible for managing show’s website – writing features, posting wire stories and creating slideshows and polls.
- Assisted reporters and talent in the field, which included reporting from the red carpet at the “Extract” premiere.
DJ/Host/Volunteer, KUCI 88.9fm, (intermittently) 2006 – 2009
- Hosted an indie music show and co-hosted a public affairs show.
2011 Los Angeles Times Editorial Award for news writing, Blue ribbon finalist for Best Investigative Reporting for California Newspaper Publisher’s Association 2012 Better Newspapers contest, 2013 O.C. Press Club honorable mention for Best Feature Story, 2014 O.C. Press Club honorable mention for Best Public Affairs Story
University of Southern California, 2016-2017: Public radio reporting, public radio documentary (audit)
Transom Traveling Workshop, December 2015
UC Irvine, 2005-2009: B.A. in socio-cultural anthropology, B.A. in Spanish
Universitat de Barcelona, 2007-2008: Duttenhaver Scholar
Audio editing, photography, copy/line editing, social media, basic video, web analytics, SEO trained via Yoast, basic proficiency in Spanish, fast typist (80 wpm), AP Style
*A more comprehensive resume is available upon request.