Freelance audio producer/reporter, various, 2016 – present
- Report, produce and mix public radio features for the BBC’s Outlook, KCRW and KPCC shows such as the Frame, Take Two and Off-Ramp.
- Reported in-depth stories of commerce meeting culture — from taxidermy to the motorcycle industry — for APM’s Marketplace.
- Ground up podcast producing for different clients, including booking interviews, hiring freelancers, identifying story, writing scripts and producing final mixes.
Multimedia storyteller, University of Southern California, May 2016 – present
- First to hold newly created job as in-house journalist for the university, I’m known for finding offbeat, clickable stories, tackling everything from millennial home buying to the health risks of Netflix bingeing.
- Launched USC News’ audio storytelling vertical, doing sound portraits and 3 to 7-minute audio documentaries, including one on how some folks get the chills from music – which was played more than 35,000 times on SoundCloud.
Reporter, Orange County Register, November 2012 – May 2016
- Covered local government, business and regional issues across the county, breaking stories on the state’s shutdown of a police academy, the bankruptcy of OC-based teen retail giants, and how a teen heroin problem was changing area high schools.
- With the investigation of Fullerton College’s police academy, my curiosity about the class left in the lurch by the shutdown led me to request public records for years prior — discovering that former classes were told they had POST certification (required to be a cop in CA) when they didn’t, which led to officers across the county being stripped of their weapons and put on desk jobs.
- One of only a handful of reporters to represent the paper at the 2015 IRE Conference in Philadelphia.
Reporter, Los Angeles Register, February 2014- September 2014
- Handpicked to lead L.A. coverage with one other reporter before a team or bureau was assembled.
- Byline was in the paper almost daily, including 15 A-1 stories during the paper’s five-month run – on what’s killing L.A.’s mountain lions to the troubling history of Malibu’s elite blocking public access to beaches and a Q&A with the Pope’s social media guru.
Assistant web editor and community reporter, Los Angeles Times, July 2010- November 2012
- Finalist for an investigative journalism award for a data-driven project on sex offender laws, which included cold interviewing local sex offenders.
- Started doing social media as a stringer, after noticing it was automated. Once full-time, I was given the additional title, which included newsroom training on social media and an understanding of SEO and analytics.
- Received 2011 Los Angeles Times Editorial Award for news writing.
Digital intern, NBC Universal/Access Hollywood, June 2009 – August 2009
- Responsible for managing show’s website – writing features, posting wire stories and creating slideshows and polls.
DJ/Host/Volunteer, KUCI 88.9fm, (intermittently) 2006 – 2009
- Hosted an indie music show and co-hosted a public affairs show.
University of Southern California, 2016-2017: Public radio reporting, public radio documentary (audit)
Transom Traveling Workshop, December 2015
UC Irvine, 2005-2009: B.A. in socio-cultural anthropology, B.A. in Spanish
Universitat de Barcelona, 2007-2008: Duttenhaver Scholar
Audio mixing, photography, copy/line editing, social media, basic video, web analytics (SEO), basic proficiency in Spanish, fast typist (80 wpm), AP Style
*A more comprehensive resume is available upon request.