Reality TV is dismissed as guilty pleasure, low brow… even trash. But whether you want to admit it or not, you probably have heard of Snooki, Lisa Vanderpump or Kim Kardashian. Over the past 30 years, reality TV has become a place to see the social and political moment play out in real time — from racial tensions on The Real World New York to gender dynamics on The Bachelor. On this season, join host Mariah Smith as she dissects the history of the genre one show at a time, revealing how its shaped our culture and how our culture shaped it.
Neon Hum founder Jonathan Hirsch came up with this idea about a podcast on the history of reality TV, which eventually became the NHM original Spectacle: An Unscripted History of Reality TV, a 10 episode narrative documentary podcast. As someone who works Real Housewives into really any conversation, it was a dream show to work on. I was the lead producer, coming up with the series arc, writing and producing the episodes. Big shoutout to our talented host Mariah Smith and composer Andrew Eapen. And to Catherine Saint Louis and Shara Morris for giving the notes I so needed.
TIME, Esquire and Vulture named it one of the best podcasts of 2021 (so far). It’s also been covered by The Huffpost, The Guardian and NPR’s All Things Considered.
Press around Spectacle:
- Best Podcasts of 2021 so far: TIME
- Best Podcasts of 2021: Esquire
- The Best Podcasts of 2021 (so far): NY Mag/Vulture
- ‘Spectacle’ Podcast Makes The Case For Reality TV As A Crucial Art Form: HuffPost
- The Podcast ‘Spectacle’ Covers Reality TV, 1 Franchise At A Time: NPR/ATC
- Servant of Pod: The “Spectacle” of Reality Television
- Mashable: Best new podcasts of 2021 (so far)